Monday, April 4, 2016

Charlottesville Half

Some of you may remember that this year I made a goal to run a half marathon. When my friend Jeni mentioned that she would be running the Charlottesville half and invited me to run with her, I was excited. I have come to love this beautiful city. Running is one of the best ways to get to know a city I think. In the past I've run some races (all except one as a single girl), and this time I realized that training for a race with kids takes special planning and a very supportive husband. So first of all here is a huge shout out to my sweetheart of a husband and darling boys, for sacrificing for me so that I could do this.
It was a great race - my best time yet, which wasn't amazing, but amazing for me :) (my moto - always compare yourself, to yourself, and not to anyone else, right?) A little rain never stopped these people right here. Lots of hills (Charlottesville runners are strong), and a beautiful river to run by. When you run hard as many are I'm sure familiar, you pull from deep inside to give your best. I love the feeling of giving your best, accomplishing goals, and having a supportive team to help you. I love how the Apostle Paul refers to life as a race. "...let us run with patience the race that is set before us" (Heb 12:1). It was inspiring for me to see runners cheering each other on, and the relief and happiness on faces as they made it to the finish line - food and friends....sort of like heaven, right? :) I also thought of this scripture in 2 Timothy 4:7 - "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith". During my race I thought a lot about my Aunt Kathy who is suffering from cancer. When I was visiting Utah for my sister's wedding, I saw her - and was so amazed at how patient she is in suffering. She seemed to be peaceful and happy. I dedicated my thoughts to her during that race. What an inspiring woman and example for me, such faith and love. Afterwards we hit the hot tub and it felt great! Good times!

photo cred goes to Jeni Awerkamp's phone and a kind stranger: in the pic - me, Katie L, Lucy L, Jeni A, and Ryan A..come rain or sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment