Sunday, September 18, 2016

Life Lately - 3L


Hi Friends! After not updating my blog for a while, I'm realizing how much there is to catch up on. I'm glad Nate is so good at reminding us to take the camera everywhere we go, so we keep track of our life a little better. While I don't expect a huge readership on my blog, I'm so glad that we can share with close friends and family pieces of our life, and especially record our lives so that we can remember some of the joy as well as the lessons we learned - so we can share it with our kids.

So far 3L has been good. I have realized that so many times when Nate brings up the future and where we might be living, I change the subject, just because I think it's sad for me to think about leaving Charlottesville and the people I love here. 3L has been a little bit of an adjustment without our friends from last year. I guess I'm going to have to start living with change - because that will be my life, but I still love holding onto and relishing in the now and what I have. 

While Nate works hard during the day, we still have a lot of fun. I have really enjoyed getting to play in a small Orchestra here. I also just started helping out with weddings as a part time gig - thanks to my cousin for setting up that connection. I'm coming to realize how much I love that business. What is it about marriage that is so sweet and exciting?

Being a Mom is still the most challenging and most rewarding part of my life. It is amazing and terrifying at the same time to watch them grow up so fast. Part of me wants to hold on to them while they are little, and part of me gets so excited when I see them develop or learn something new. Mason is at the age where he will start to remember his life a little better, so it provides even more incentive for me to nurture that joy in him that I want him to carry through his life so much. That accompanied with helping him develop the necessary tools that will strengthen and bless him throughout his life.

Now that I am an adult, I realize more and more how grateful I am that I had parents who stuck by my side while I learned how to serve and sacrifice, work and repent. There is just nothing I can think of that can replace those lessons that I learned from them, and by their side.
So while Mason and Nate cleaned the bathroom on Saturday I told Mason - little buddy - belive it or not, learning to clean the bathroom now, will make you a better missionary, a better husband, and a better father. I'm so grateful for his willingness at this age to take it all in, and for his Dad who is willing to teach him. That's one of the things I love most about my Dad.

I've also been thinking so much lately about faith. How in the world can I prepare my boys to have the armor they need so they can fight the spiritual battles they will have to face in the future and make the choices that will bless their lives and prepare them for life with God. I feel like a lot of that training will have to come from the home. One of my greatest desires as a parent, is that somehow they can glean the same spiritual blessings I gained from sitting at the feet of my Parents. Was scripture study in my home always perfect? No - but it was consistent, and I remember coming from my cold room in the winter months to the warmth of the fire my Dad had just heated that morning, to the sound of the hymn my Mom was playing on the piano, and to the sight and smell of oatmeal and cut up grapefruit on the table. My parents will be the first to tell you that they weren't perfect parents - but then again, who is? But gosh there sure is a lot I hope to carry on to my kids that they gave to me. So thanks, Mom and Dad! I love you more and more the older I get.

And it would be crazy for me not to include my husband's family and parents. While our families are unique, I totally feel that the combination of the gifts that both of our parents gave us, bless our kids doubly. I can hardly think of kinder or more thoughtful or more caring parents than Nate has. I love that about them, and the older I get, the more grateful I feel for them. 

Here's to a love fest :). Enjoy some pics of our lives lately!

a weekend trip to visit the home of Woodrow Wilson in Staunton Virginia


joy all around

our tennis spectators

Nate took the boys to a Virginia football game while I worked at a wedding. Go Hoos!

Celebrating a birthday with our good friend David Crocket

Mason's soccer team - I still can't get over how much I love being a soccer Mom! Remind me of that when I'm running them all over the country to play games! :)

Reading with his cute friend Olivia

visiting Luray Caverns. A little pricey, but still glad we got to go


the attached car museum was impressive. Fun to reminisce on the development of the car

Stanley, Virginia in 8 miles

tailgate party for the BYU v Utah game. at least that part was amazing and fun. Thanks again Perkins for hosting us.


another playdate

Stanley plays soccer now, too!

fun little art project. I love this quote by President Monson

fun preparing meals we all like. I chose this one.

more swimming. Stanley and Mason can't get enough of it, and nor can I. Please let us have access to a pool wherever we live?

Soccer is so much more fun when you get to hang out with amazing girls like these ones right here

a little bit of bike riding in our spare time


pretty sure that helmet is bigger than his body :)

a cute little birthday bash

apple picking

these cuties!

post apple picking ice cream party at the nearest Mexican ice cream shop


this brought back some sweet memories of my time in Mexico as a 12 year old living with my sister who was 14 with a Mexican family for a summer to learn spanish

let 'em go :)

Stanley has begged lately to play my violin. I tend to turn it into a cello so it's safer :). Kind of cute those two boys right there! It's fun that they are catching on to some of the music excitement from my students.

green drink popsicles never get old around here - a little pre Church snack

Mason is sure a cute brother a lot of the time! Love those boys right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment