Saturday, April 8, 2017

The Daily with Mason and Stanley




We are mostly back in the full swing of things since Europe, with school, etc. Nate of course is wrapping up his last semester at the University of Virginia (hard to believe), but also Mason and Stan at home. After getting dressed, saying prayers, brushing teeth, making beds, and combing hair (the big five my Mom called it growing up), we have breakfast. Then after family prayer and Daddy goes to school, we do our piano practicing.

Almost every day we also get to have a little school time. We start with marching around with flags singing a patriotic song and the Star Spangled Banner (feel free to laugh at our marching - but at this age it works :),  with scripture stories, an ancestor story, singing songs to teach them the days of the week, planets, continents etc (thank you singin' smart), memorizing a scripture or two (the same ones the last two years I think :), still working on it haha - 1 Nephi 3:7 and Proverbs 3:5, Mason reading to us a little, math workbook, something science (Nate's Mom sends us ranger rick magazines and my boys love them. It sounds like a lot, but all in all it only takes about 30 minutes to an hour - depending on how focussed we are :).

Mason is such a curious kid asking so many questions every day, so keeping up with his curiosity is a fun challenge. He often asks questions I don't know the answer to, so we usually have to look them up. He is also learning how to read like a champ. Stanley is also so much fun to teach the alphabet to, and he's mastered his colors (especially red his favorite), and shapes. Usually there's some coloring for Stan or playing with his favorite toys while I work with Mason, and sometimes it's jumping on the couch and in those times I try to be flexible. However it has been fun to see their attention gradually increase as we make consistent efforts.

We also try to get out every day to see friends or go to the park or library or children's museum. Being a kid I think is so important. I try not to give them too much so that they can also enjoy being care free like my Mom did for me when I was little. For these boys it looks a little different than it did for me - jumping in mud puddles, etc.

Mason loves taking piano lessons (since his 5th birthday) from his Aunt Alissa (Nate's sister) who is getting her masters in piano pedagogy from the University of Michigan. We love catching up with her every week and feel so grateful that she's willing to teach us long distance over the internet. Mason and Stanley are also taking several classes through the local recreation center - art in the park, soccer, and this week swimming lessons. They love it, and it's so much fun for me to see them have fun and develop their talents. Especially fun to see their unique talents and personalities come out.

Mason also learned how to ride his bike this week on his own without training wheels. That was another happy moment for this Mama and Papa. It's amazing to see them growing up and learning so much. Part of me wants to hold on to them while they are young, but there is SO much joy in seeing them grow as well.

I also still continue to try to find time to exercise and have enjoyed my weekly orchestra practice. I'm looking forward to performing with them in May the Bach A minor. Bach is my favorite composer I think. Finding balance in life for me has been important - and I am so grateful for Nate who encourages and supports it. Nate and I have also really enjoyed teaching 10 and 11 year old children at Church.

So while Motherhood has its many challenges, I feel honored and blessed to be able to mentor these precious little men through their first steps in life. While I recognize that as a Mother I cannot give them everything - I can give them something - the very best I have to offer :). I know that God forgives my weaknesses and makes up for the rest. Nate and I just want to try to give them the best preparation we can for life as an adult and we hope someday life together with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. We feel grateful that our parents gave their all to us and while difficult (more difficult that I realized - thanks Mom and Dad!!), we try our best to follow in their footsteps.

So much growth and learning on the way - but this parenting thing - I love it. Every life has its crazy, but I'm grateful this is my crazy (as one Mom I know described). 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you have written these accounts. You'll want to know what your daily schedule is like later.
    Been praying for and thinking of you so much and the remarkable mother and woman you are. Love you, Jo.

    ReplyDelete