Sunday, May 29, 2016

Dinner at Union Station

After we met up with Nate we took a stroll to Union Station. Notice my surprise when I realized I had never been to this beautiful place, and noticed that a part of 'Mr Smith goes to Washington' was filmed here. If any of you have seen it, it's one of my favorites! If you haven't, then here's a cliff notes short-est edition. A Senator passes away, and has to be replaced. He is replaced by a young and idealistic bright young man named Jefferson Smith (played by Jimmy Stewart - one of my all time favorite actors). When he arrives in Washington wide eyed he gets lost in the glow of this city on a hill - the beauty of this Country, and everything it stands for, until he stumbles upon a scheme and graft taking place by his own fellow Senator. Well, I feel like I can relate to Jefferson Smith sometimes. I get pretty rose-colored glasses about things until reality strikes. Life :). Yet I still love that there is an ideal to try to live up to. That is the beauty of it. In the end, Mr. Smith wins - and the scheme and graft is uncovered. I love the idea of standing up for honesty and integrity at every level of government and holding our politicians to that standard. I'm guessing that mostly our leaders can be trusted, but it's always good to keep one eye wide open ;).




Mason and I (actually who doesn't) share an affinity for Jamba Juice.

we sampled a bit of a few different places. Of course Mason and Stanley were most excited about the Chicago style deep dish pizza :).

Mediterranean food from Roti 

half eaten French sandwich from Le Pain Quotidien

Italian/Chicagoan pizza from Uno :)

these most beautiful flowers on our walk back to the car


ice cream on the way home as well. let this not be symbolic of things to come :)



Stan is becoming quite the little helper. Love that little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment