Sunday, May 1, 2016

food!

Dear Friends - I have been doing a lot of thinking about food lately. I love food. As you know - since January I haven't been eating sugar, and in the last few weeks I also started cutting out carbs and dairy as well. As of late, I appreciate food flavors even more. I appreciate the natural taste of an apple, or an avocado with lemon or salmon. Lately I've noticed how flavors have been coming out more since taking sugar off the list (except birthdays, holidays, and travel). It's fun to have a whole new perspective on food. Honestly I haven't really gotten sick since I went off sugar, and energy and running speed have also improved. I also feel less moody and like generally a better Mom. All that to say that I still enjoy an occasional dessert, and of course I think it's important for me to let my family enjoy it as well. Part of my enjoyment is vicariously through them - so I still make them an occasional dessert, while trying to help my boys limit sugar more generally. I have noticed that overall our family eats better since I've been making efforts in that regard. Since going off of sugar I've noticed how much sugar is a part of American culture. I know I totally contribute to it - but that just requires me to make a little more effort to counter it a little :). That is until my birthday, last night when I enjoyed some delicious cheesecake, followed by a morning after sugar hangover (maybe my body is more sensitive to sugar than others). I'm off it again today though :). Enjoy!

adding a little variety to my boy's smoothie popsicles. This one - I just threw in a bag of mixed strawberries, mangos, bananas and orange-mango juice. Has sugar, but I feel like it's still healthier than regular popsicles, right? :) ok, maybe not.


so fun to watch this boy grow up and figure out puzzles on his own

he had me make a movie of him 'making a rocket' out of play dough. so cute! i will try to post it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi7a_Txowjo

Here is Nate's favorite cookie - salted caramel snickerdoodles. Nate has finals this week - so I decided to make them for him to help him with his studies. He was pretty excited when he walked home and smelled these :). Mason was at his cute little friends house and Stanley was asleep, so I didn't have to worry about protecting the caramels. They are pretty good. I always get rave reviews:
http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/brown-butter-salted-caramel-snickerdoodles/#comment-234141


This little cutie loves helping me shuck the corn. YAY!!! Corn season is back!

This Cheesecake recipe is also amazing. I made it for my birthday dessert. Yum!

And here is what I eat :). Simple and delicious.

Happy May Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment